Thursday, March 18, 2010

Predators

Producer Robert Rodriguez has released footage of his up coming film Predators on the films web page:

http://www.predators-movie.com

A trailer is also supposed to be released today, but so far not so much.

This will be the first strictly Predator film in the franchise since Predator 2 was released in 1990, although they have appeared most recently in 2007's Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem.

This installment casts Adrien Brody in the staring role, along side Topher Grace and Laurence Fishburne. If you will let me fan-boy out for a moment let me just say that I am very pumped to see Laurence Fishburne go up against a Predator.

The film is directed by Nimrod Antal, who directed Vacancy released in 2007. Less well know in the States is his Hungarian released film Kontroll, which I absolutely love.

This installment mirrors the original in that it is about a group of people fighting for their lives in a jungle setting, although this jungle is on a different planet.

For the most part I like what I see, but what I don't like is that this film is introducing a "new, updated, nastier, meaner breed" of Predator. To this I say "why?" The Predator is already a freaking Predator!

They way I see it is that this is the fifth film to feature these monsters, wouldn't we have seen the other breed before now?

This is just a way to repackage what the audience already knows so that they think it is new. As if everyone will think "Hey, I like Predator, and if the Predator is bigger then that means I'll like it even more!" It is a lazy gimmick to sell people what they already know back to them without having to really try something new.

Will I still see it? Yeah, probably. I'm a fan of the series and the people involved. But if I was going to do it, I would leave the classic Predator as is and focus on telling a good original story using them.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta say, the title made me think it was going to be to the Predator franchise what Jim Cameron's Aliens was to its franchise. How great would it be to see a bunch of humans end up on a predator homeworld or colony world, completely in over their heads, and have to attempt to escape without being hunted and savagely murdered? The predators should be more interesting antagonists than the aliens, since they're actually intelligent and have built a society with all kinds of advanced technology. There's so much that could be done with them, yet studios only see them as different-shaped versions of the xenomorphs from Aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I totally agree with your statement about the "new breed of Predator." If you look at about 1:36 into the trailer, you see what appears to be some sort of Predator version of an animal (i'm gonna call it a dog, because hunting dogs are pretty common here on earth).

    I absolutely hate it. I mean it looks TOO much like predator, with the dreadlocks/tentacles coming off it, and the predator's jaws. Are they supposed to have evolved from the same species? The look is TOO similar to me. The whole notion of Preda-dog makes me think an executive said "he needs a pet," it's the kind of idea that seems to be made for the sole purpose of marketing a toy. I know when we were kids there were Predator toys and all, but still... this is an R-Rated movie why would you market toys to kids for a movie their parents will NEVER let them see?

    Furthermore if you wiki the movie you see there are things called (spoiler alert) Super Predators, which (also spoiler alert) if you click the source link, look totally fucking LAME. Like regular Predators with stuff on their masks. they aren't BIGGER, they don't have cool gear, nothing... not in the leaked pictures anyway.

    But as to the logic behind the why haven't we seen them yet: that seems fairly reasonable. Predator, Predator 2, AVP, and AVP:R, were all set on earth. It's like saying if we had astronauts landing on another planet, why would those aliens know what other animals look like?

    I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with the previous commenter tho. Aliens was great because the larger setting and greater number of Xenomorphs contrasted with the first movie's sense of confinement and inevitability, being stuck on a ship, nowhere to escape to. But in Predator and Predator 2, the humans are already in a large setting, running all they want and unable to escape. Adding more Predators to the setting isn't going to increase the sense of doom.

    ReplyDelete